The structure of an rig crew usually involves an oil company hiring a drilling contractor to carry out the drilling operations. The rig crews are employees of the drilling contractor so in order to ensure that the operation is carried out according to the specifications, timelines and other goals, a company representative is assigned to each rig crew and this individual is referred to as the company man.
Some of the primary responsibilities of the company man are provided below:
- Ensure and support all safety precautions and regulations on board the rig.
- Ensure that the operation is proceeding according to the set time lines, budget and other goals.
- Provide any company support the rig crew might require for the drilling operation or for any softer issues.
- Serve as the eyes and ears of the oil company and report back any inconsistencies, concerns or discrepancies that may arise.
The company man is required to be around for all shifts and is responsible for the rig’s performance throughout its shifts. He is usually expected to be a college graduate and very often started out as the lowest position on a rig crew, building his experience and knowledge until he obtained this full time senior position with the oil company. A company man can progress to more senior positions like that of a floating foreman or rig superintendent who would handle complex drill issues. It is a respected and highly sought after position and commands a strong salary of $80,000 to $120,000 per year.
Other offshore job Links
- IMMEDIATE OPENINGS - Offshore Oil and Gas Production A Operators
- Project Manager 1
- Maintenance Consultant
- Validation lead
- Scheduler / Cost Analyst
- Offshore Wireline Operator
- Associate Analyst (Entry Level)
- RPA Process Analyst
- NDT Technician/Assistant
- Human Resources Assistant
- Consultant, Customer & Marketing, Advertising, Marketing & Commerce
- Audio Engineer
- Florida Coastal Islands Sanctuaries (Tampa Bay) Field Technician
- Administrative Assistant
- Junior Hydrographer
- Project Planner
- Assistant Vice President or Vice President, Product Specialist, Emerging Markets Opportunities
- Recovery Technician
- Fisheries Biologists
- Temporary - Electromechanical Assembler - 5 Openings