Now that you are well aware of the challenges, there are more than a few advantages of working offshore. These can help overcome the drawbacks outlined above and make it all seem worthwhile.
Range of Positions and Career Options
Getting a job on a rig doesn’t mean you will be performing one task for the rest of your career. There is a wide range of positions on offer and the more experience you accumulate the more opportunities are available. Your job can include deep sea diving, operating the drilling machinery, serving as a mechanic and a number of other roles. Your learning curve will always be steep and there is a great scope for growth and career development.
Starting salaries for entry-level positions is USD 60K annually which is significantly higher than similar roles onshore. For many this is enough to put up with all the challenges of an offshore job. Plus your annual salary is for just six months of work a year. Now that’s a bargain if ever there was one.
Zero Living Expenses
When you’re onboard a rig or ship, you incur zero expenses. Everything from your stay, to food, to entertainment and telephone calls are all taken care of by the oil company. The money you earn is entirely yours to spend and you enjoy a number of tax breaks as well particularly if you’re working overseas.
Many find the prospect of traveling to foreign locations one of the most exciting components of an offshore career. Offshore oil rigs are located in a variety of places including the North Sea, Canada, South Africa, Venezuela, Middle East and off the coast of the US. Many workers never dreamed of visiting these places and offshore career offers them exactly this opportunity.
- Fullstack architect with Angular 2 experience
- Full stack Architect (Angular 2 experience)
- Senior ETL Architect/Developer (US Citizen/Green Card)
- Gulf of Mexico - Offshore Deepwater Production Operator
- Floorhand - Offshore
- Roustabout - Offshore
- Offshore Work Preparation Technician
- BI Reporting Developer
- Developer, IT
- Special Events Server
- Remote site Chef
- Experienced Offshore Deckhand
- Insurance Contract and Policy Analyst
- Gulf of Mexico - Offshore Mechanic
- Data Analyst
- Business Intelligence Consultant (Only W2 No C2C No H1B)
- Director, Business Operations
- Angular 4 developer
- Specialist, Infrastructure Eng - Application Services Engineer